The National Nurturing Schools Programme
"Thank you for a wonderful two days, thought provoking."Nurture Practitioner
Brief overview of the course
This programme takes place over a two year period and requires the buy in of both senior management and teaching staff.
The initial two days provides two members of staff (including one from management), training and an induction to the programme and the opportuinity to develop initial thoughts on how to plan the next steps to implement nurture, throughout their whole school.
This is followed by specific follow-up tasks over the next six months, with another full-day progress and application day one year after the induction programme. The school is then assessed against its performance targets within the Nurturing School Framework at the end of the two years.
Courses coming up
London 23 and 24 May 2017 - FULL
Hull 12 and 13 June 2017
Wigan 21 and 22 June 2017 - NEW
We’re now taking bookings for next academic year. New dates can be found below:
Stirling 12 and 13 September 2017
Birmingham 13 and 14 September 2017
Bolton 19 and 20 September 2017
London 20 and 21 November 2017
Glasgow 1 and 2 February 2018
With the new term of training dates, a new set of prices applies: for two people, £900 + VAT on year 1, and £850 on year 2.
Senior management and school staff who show a commitment to develop a whole school nurturing ethos and culture that is inclusive and supports everyone in and associated with the school.
The National Nurturing Schools Programme is a programme that allows staff to develop personally and professionally whilst embedding a nurturing culture throughout their schools, enhancing teaching and learning, promoting healthy outcomes for children and young people. This is achieved by focusing on emotional needs and development as well as academic learning in a whole school environment. The programme is based on the six principles of nurture that have successfully underpinned nurture groups for over 40 years. This programme does not replace nurture groups as a more focussed intervention for those identified in need of nurture group provision. You do not need a nurture group in your school to attend the course however many schools have found it useful to implement one at later stage as part of their whole school development.
- Pupils benefit – from the approach that supports them in their specific needs while delivering teaching and learning in a way that all can access. The pupil is at the heart of the school focus and their learning is understood developmentally.
- Parents benefit – from being involved and welcomed in the school, in seeing the improvement in the children’s learning, behaviour, confidence and attendance. A better outcome for their children both in and out of the school and classroom.
- Teachers benefit – from a renewed focus on their pupils and a culture change where every voice counts. A more balanced measure of outcomes for individual pupils ensues.
- Schools benefit – from showing their commitment to developing an ethos and culture that is inclusive supports everyone in and associated with the school
- Communities benefit – from having a school that wants to be at the heart of the community and demonstrates its central role in children and young people’s lives.
- Access to the Boxall Profile Online for two years
- The National Nurturing Schools Programme file with all materials related to the programme including standards, self-assessment and planning tools
- Training handbook
- Opportunity to access consultancy
Please note - Full training for the Boxall Profile and the Boxall Profile Online is not covered in these sessions. For training, please visit the The Boxall Pofile pages.
For schools who have successfully completed the National Nurturing Schools Programme, they can gain recognition for achieving a higher level of nurturing provision by applying for The National Nurturing School Award – assessed and awarded by The Nurture Group Network.
What are the costs?
For year one the fee is £660 plus VAT (includes one year Boxall Online, publications, manuals and two-day induction programme for two people). For year two the fee is £650 plus VAT (includes one year Boxall Online, one-day progress and application programme for two people, on-site assessment, report and Award).